The Evil In A Condescending Tone

Heyyy Warriors 👀,
Song pick: Born Tired - Jhené Aiko
P.S : I love this song,  or more like I love jhené Aiko, she always brings an effortless soothing vibes to her songs.
Well we all know what a condescending tone means, so I'm not even going to go off on a definition spree. But if for an entirely reasonable reason you do not know😌, that's okay, either you look it up before you continue reading, or you stay closely with me while I write, I'm sure you will get the concept before I'm done here.
Now when it comes to words, or more specifically when it comes to sensitivity to mean words I like to think of myself as thick skinned. Well given the family I come from, you just have to be that way. We were all given the privilege to adapt into armour wearing Word Ninjas, where the shield can ricochet shitty languages directed at us.( yea I come from a long line of great men and women, I'm sure you must have sensed it by now).
But here is the thing, even though I find my self in a group with humans who do not consider themselves overly sensitive to reckless spill of words, I also think its imperative to mark off a line( or something more like the great Wall of China if you must) between a person being simply mean and a person being flat out disrespectful. ( how you can do that is more of a story for another day)
On a now note however, more times than we will ever care to admit, we have either been on the receiving end or giving end of the sentence " it's not what was said, it's how it was said".
If you haven't said these out loud, you must have thought it, and there is no shame in that.
Personally speaking, even with my ability to overlook a lot of things said and insinuated, there is just something about a condescending tone that just pushes my red button.You know the one that triggers the alarm in your head, with the flashing signs that say 🚨"DANGER!! VIOLENCE IS ABOUT TO BE ACTIVATED"🚨
( the last time i was in a fight was in primary 4 with a male classmate and i think it is probably the only time i have ever been in a fight, but that's besides the point yet on a lighter note, I won that fight .Trust me when I say I can be pretty violent when there is the right trigger)
Speaking in a condescending tone can't be unintentional, I don't even know how that would make sense if you claim it is. There is always about a thousand different ways you could have said something, but you chose to lean towards being patronising. You chose to say it in a way that makes one feel incredibly small and stupid. I don't know about you, but there is something about belittling me or anyone, making me feel stupid that just triggers violent thoughts. I hate being talked to like I am just simply a speck of dust which is invariably what happens when someone is being condescending. ( I'm 5'7, but with an ego of about 6ft or more, I have made peace with the fact that my body is too small for my pride so you have no right to make me feel even smaller)
What even gave you the right to carry yourself with so much air of importance?
Why would you dare talk to anyone like you are way better than them? I am not saying you shouldn't know your self worth and all those things they teach you during a self growth seminar, but there is a difference between showing and knowing your self worth and deliberating trying to make the next person feel worthless while you are at it(then again, who even told you you are important). Ok ignore the enclosed sentence, but my point is if you really feel good about squashing anothers self esteem just so you can feel superior, then your so called self growth is just a journey with a series of burnt bridges keeping you from getting to your destination. ( best believe you only get one guess for what could be destroying those bridges)
Do you know what a condescending tone does to a person apart from making an individual want to slap the taste out of your mouth? I think it's more like a different stroke for different folks kind of experience.
For the human with an inferiority complex, it is a bit more demoralizing and demeaning. For others, it will only breed rebellion. They will just do the exact opposite of what was asked if they can help it or it could breed anger when this can't happen for most. There is no way that you would look at it, and it becomes okay to talk down on someone.
For those who say words that come off as Condescending and claim it is unintentional, maybe you actual secretly believe you are better and much more superior than whoever it is you are talking to or maybe it was all a mistake. But next time, always remember that it isn't what you say, it is how you say it.
Just because you didn't mean what you said doesn't reduce the effect of what you said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Disappearing Act

A Magnet In Their Stars

MY LITTLE SPIRITUAL TRIP